Simple (Retro) Micro gaming

These days you can hook a graphics card onto the front of even a small micro with pretty much the same computing power as my old X80, and play games on your television. But for anyone with a budget, and not enough time to research and source all the parts and solder it all together, it's daunting. Then still to go through the pain of debugging someone else's code to make it your own; there is still a whole great big playing field. Besides, we only want a simple game, that's simple enough to have fun with, and not needing uber programming skill or even the cost of debugging hardware.

Today I hope to inspire you, as I was by this YouTube video, to dust off my homemade £10 programmer and write some code and hang it all off just what's in my parts-bin.

Since I was going on holiday the day after I spotted this inspirational video, I quickly threw together some parts, some code, and 'replied' with...
...but about 2 weeks latter. Basically a clone, with the intent to do more once I found some inspiration by scouring the web for anything you could do in just 32 characters. That sounds limiting, and it is, but need not be.
 I'm still hunting from more ideas, but I'm stuck on @focalistification 's Zombie Snack, my version now has a bit of a life of it's own, the zombies seem to eat my instruction pointer, often during the game, which has come a long way since the youtube video shoot. A zombie fan myself from the steam game, I with regret have to bring in a Dragon to combat my bugs. It should arrive next week, and at that point I hope to complete my love for Zombies and move onto another LCD game. Any ideas for a game that can fit into limited RAM welcome.
If you are not up to microcontroller programming in the raw, you might try amazon (not my direct recommendation)

Comments