Use Cyanogenmod and hosts file to block ads

I am running CM11 on a Samsung Galaxy S3. I noticed that add supported apps suck a lot of my data and are sometimes just producing plain buggy and annoying banners.
Block em!
ok So I googled it, a few decent hits are:
So let's try it out. But before we go, lets get our hosts list pre-compiled. I found more resources and a slightly old one here http://mathdotrandom.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/block-ads-on-pc-android-with-uber-hosts.html

So far it's not blocking much, but it's a start.

Comments

  1. At one point I did most of my ad-blocking on Linux boxes by configuring a DNS proxy with fake (local network) answers for the blacklisted sites. I guess the hosts file should work the same way, except that what I did lived on my 'router' so it worked for any machine in my house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment